Areas we work in
HIQA’s role is to develop standards, inspect and review health and social care services and support informed decisions on how services are delivered. For further information on the areas we work in please click on the links below.
- We inspect hospitals and other healthcare providers and talk to patients, staff and managers to determine if healthcare providers are meeting National Standards.
- We inspect some of the social care services children access to determine if they are meeting National Standards. This means that we visit services, speak with children, their families and other important people in their lives.
- We are legally responsible for the monitoring, inspection and registration of designated centres for adults and children with a disability.
- We are responsible for monitoring, inspecting and registering all nursing homes in Ireland to ensure that residents are safe and receive a high quality of care.
- Our Health Information team aims to develop a consistent and standardised approach to health and social care information within the Irish eHealth and health information landscape.
- Health technology assessment (HTA) is a multidisciplinary research process that collects and summarises information about a health technology.
- We are responsible for producing the evidence to support the development of national clinical guidelines. The guidelines aim to promote healthcare that is current, effective and consistent, ensuring best outcomes for patients and service users.
- We aim to improve the quality and safety of health and social care services by setting national standards and publishing guidance. Standards promote practice that is up to date, evidence based, effective and consistent.
- If you are looking for a nursing home, hospital or disability centre, please click here for further information.
- The National Care Experience Programme seeks to improve the quality of health and social care services in Ireland by asking people about their experiences of care and acting on their feedback.